A Good Do on Stir Fry


When my family makes a good dish, particularly something that has the chances of coming out bad, we call it "a good do." My stir fry can be hit or miss, but I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. I've had several good do's the last few months. It's hard to share the recipe, because different stuff and/or amounts usually go in. Last week, I discovered a stir fry sauce ready to go in the Asian Isle at the store. Throw it in. I also cooked Jasmine rice, and I discovered that I've been jipping myself cooking different rice on stir-fry night. It's a must for spicy stir fry. Sometimes we cook noodles and fry them up instead of steamed rice. I guess it depends how healthy we want to be that week! (Also, noodles are noodles. Don't get robbed paying $6 for stir fry lo mein noodles, the regular kind tastes just the same)

  • 1 lb diced chicken or shrimp
  • 3 cups chopped vegetables - our favorites are broccoli, asparagus, snow peas, carrots, or even fresh green beans or celery
  • garlic
  • oil (peanut, sesame, or olive)
Start with oil and garlic in a medium hot pan. Add diced chicken and cook until the outsides are mostly white.
Put chopped raw vegetables in with the chicken. The ones that take longer to cook go first (for us, that's always the asparagus and carrots). Broccoli and snow peas would be about a minute later. When the chicken is almost done, it's time to add thinly sliced celery and squash.

When the veggies are all in add some seasoning:
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp hot sauce, or chilies/jalapenos (whatever you've got on hand to add spiciness)
  • If I've got some stir fry sauce in the fridge, it goes in too
Cook until the chicken is all white, but still juicy. Don't overcook or the veggies will be all limp (this would equal a "bad" do). Good luck and good do!
Using noodles? Well, cook them in a pot. Add a little more oil than you'd like to the wok (or pan in my house) and fry them up. Seasoning? Well, after watching the Japanese Steak House people for years, mine tastes pretty good with salt, pepper, and soy sauce.

PS- If you notice the rice in the picture isn't Jasmine, you're right. I thought I'd try sushi rice- not recommended. It was too firm and just well, weird. :)

Comments

Popular Posts