Wheat Free Cooking

I've been slowing eliminating wheat from my diet since about February. After some experimenting, I concluded that my body is not digesting wheat well, probably from the gluten. A baker told me on Friday that I should try sourdough, because of the process it undergoes it should be OK if I have trouble with wheat. Well, 2 slices of sourdough later I was doubled over with stomach cramps, and, well, let's just say it's not digesting.
Never fear though, because I have been doing a lot of experimenting in the kitchen with wheat free cooking and have quite a few tasty recipes. My basic conversion for regular flour is 2 parts brown rice flour and one part tapioca flour, with xantham gum added based on what I am cooking. Here's something I cooked up this morning: Wheat Free Blueberry Scones (yes, with blueberries I picked this summer with friends!)


WF Blueberry Scones
1 1/3 c. brown rice flour
2/3 c. tapioca flour
1 ½ tsp. xantham gum
5 tsp. sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
6 tsp. butter cut into pieces
1 ½ c. blueberries
2 eggs
1/3 heavy whipping cream
Preheat oven to 400®. Sift together flours, xantham gum, sugar, and baking powder. Cut butter into mixture until crumbly. Stir in blueberries. Wisk together eggs and whipping cream. Make a well in the mixture and add the liquid mixtures. With a fork, lightly blend until moist. Transfer to a floured surface and knead a few times to mix. Then shape into a 6 sq. inch mold, 1 ¼ in. thick. With a floured knife, cut into 4ths, then cut those squares ½ to form triangles. Place on prepared pan and brush with whipping cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 20-22 min.


Comments

Popular Posts