Six months of Mommyhood


First breath: November 17th at 12:51 pm
First diaper change: Daddy
First weigh-in: 8 pounds 1 ounce
First latch on: Day 6 (hooray!)
First outing: Day 6, Lactation consultant (obviously)  Kenny noted that it definitely felt like much longer than 6 days- in his estimation I pumped and he fingerfed for a month!
First baby sitter: 3 weeks old- with Tori and Mark (pooped through clothes- no extra)
First smile: Around 4 weeks.  On the changing table. One of her favorite spots.
First long sleep: 5 hours at 4 weeks old.  I hashtagged #itsachristmasmiracle
First friend: Stanley
First night away from home: 3 months old.  With Andrea and Matt.  Cried a lot.  Sorry.
First airplane: To Missouri at 4 months old.
First food: Carrots at about 5 months
First word: Mama.  Well, more like mamamamamamamama for everything, but hey, I'll take it.

Time is definitely flying by as we approach month 6.  I still read lots of books on parenting babies- currently it's The No-Cry Sleep Solution and Baby-Led Weaning.  I guess I pride myself on making educated choices about parenting instead of just doing what's always been done in Western society or what our mothers did.  I think secretly it's one way I can be rebellious against the MAN of parenting.  I'm like, "Oh yeah?  That's how everyone does it?  Then I don't want to!" I'm a teenager all over again.

This first mother's day has been a tiring one.  I don't know if I'm supposed extra warm and gushy today, but today I just felt like sleeping.  June's been sleeping in her crib for a few nights, which she doesn't seem to mind at all.  It's me who has been dreading this change because now I must tromp down the hall (all 5 feet of it) to nurse her.  This is making me extra tired, but I'm committed to stick with it!  Our queen size bed is just too small for the three of us anymore.  It was nice just pulling her over to nurse, but I am excited to have enough space to (gasp!) actually lay on my back to sleep!

What I am warm and gushy about today is Kenny.  I know it's Mother's Day, but having Kenny here to cheer for me is essential.  He supports all the crazy decisions I want to make with June, he does dishes, he changes diapers (lots!), he takes June right when he gets home from work so I can have a break.  He makes June laugh and picks out the worst outfits for her.  I couldn't be a mommy without this Daddy.  I just couldn't do it.  His Mother's Day card for me was... well.. priceless.  Brian Regan would be impressed with the printed words the card company came up with, but Kenny's message to me was spot on.  So my gift today started with a 3 hour nap.  We are going to eat tonight, and we'll take our son-for-the-moment, Jaylon, with us to celebrate.  Then it's off to watch the finale of Celebrity Apprentice with Shane and Michelle.  It's been a good first Mother's Day.  And it's been an amazing first 6 months with June.





Comments

MrsNisly said…
I feel the same way about having Jordan around, though you and I are in different places. I can sympathize with not wanting to read stuff too. I mean people have been doing this forever without books and the internet right? I feel like it all just stresses me out more! Love reading about all of those little things that happen a long the way. I want to make sure to do that too!

Popular Posts