Not Missing Mother's Day

What do you do when it's Mother's Day, and your child wakes up at 5:30 AM with a high fever?  Well, if you're this Slightly-Crunchy-Hippie-Mama, you decide you're going to temporarily lay aside your hippie ways of herbs and lukewarm baths, give your child some Tylenol and Yo Gabba Gabba, and just go with it.  I decided at 6 AM I was not missing a nice Mother's Day just because today, being a mama meant staying home with a sick baby.  I would not pout all day about being stuck home on Mother's Day, not getting to teach Children's Church, or see Kenny's band's new spin on a hymn they've been working on, and not be cranky with June.  So I put on the coffee- strong- and got to work making Cinnamon Rugelach that I've had my eye on in a cookbook that Addie gave me some time ago.  After a few tweaks of what I knew I would like, here's the recipe that you must make today.  These are like a cross between cinnamon rolls and crescent rolls.  You can't go wrong with that.

Cinnamon Rugelach (Adapted from I Love Cinnamon Rolls! by Judith Fertig)

In a microwavable bowl, combine:
1/4 cup whole milk (I only had 2% or heavy cream to choose from- what do you think I chose... ?  heavy cream- duh!)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup softened butter
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt

Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes, or if you use Aunt Puddy's old microwave, 3 minutes, until warm.
Beat in 2 large eggs and put this liquid mixture into your bread pan for the bread machine (that you must use to make your life easier and still come shining forth like a great baker- which I secretly aspire to be).
On top of the liquid, add 3 1/4 cups flour and 2 1/2 tsp instant yeast.
This beast came from my Mimi- my dad's mom- which I asked for when she wanted to buy me a sewing machine.  I really love it, but I sure do need a sewing machine now! 


This takes an hour and a half on the dough cycle.
So during that time this morning, June and I fixed a bad hem job on a dress I did last week.  I put on the dress with no intention of going out, and put a cute dress on June too.  Hey, if we are stuck inside on Mother's Day, I want to feel cute, and if I'm staring at June all day, I want to see cute.  (Not a problem seeing cute June- not matter what she's wearing!)

Here's the rest of the recipe:
Divide risen dough into 4 parts.  Roll out each part into a 12 inch circle, and spread some butter on the dough.  Then sprinkle 1/4 of this Rugelach Filling over each dough circle:
1/4 walnuts (I did not have walnuts, so I used plain white sugar here- but walnuts would be awesome)
1/2 packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cardamum
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Cut each circle like a pizza- making 12-16 slices per circle.  This makes a lot of rolls, depending on how big you make each slice.  I got three pans worth. Roll up each triangle from wide end to tip, making a tight cresent shape, and place on a prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart.  June helped me place the rolls on each pan and clapped for herself each time.  Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.  (I do hot water in a large bowl on the bottom rack of the oven, and the pan covered on the top rack)

And then if you're this Never-Have-Enough-Butter-Mama, you take June in the stroller to the store because you need that extra 1/4 cup to melt and brush on the tops of the rolls before baking.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (first take out pans if they are rising in there!)
Make a little something to sprinkle on top of the rolls- I used a cinnamon/white sugar mix for some, and some leftover filling on the rest.
When the rolls have risen, brush each one with above mentioned melted butter and sprinkle some goodness on each one.  Bake in the oven for 13 minutes.














When the oven timer went off, June put an oven mitt on just like me and stood back while I got the pan out.  We both tried our Rugelach rolls and said, "Mmmmm!" together!  

Then, if you're this Baby-Wise-Not-So-Much-Mama, you forgo your nap schedule and decide that a toddler up two hours early can take a nap two hours early- right?  And if you're this Slightly-Cruel-Mama, you do the dishes left from your big baking mess so you can't hear your child cry herself to sleep... sorry June, I was tired- and it only was a couple minutes.  OK- baby sleeping, Rugelach done, more coffee made, Bible open (it is Sunday after all)-  I'm finally ready to sit down at the table for a rest.



 I decide to check my messages on my phone, and this was what I found:
 

Wow.  What a husband I have.  What an awesome Mother's Day so far!  Homemade pastries and coffee and the sweetest "e-card" from Kenny.  I'm so thankful that I get to be a mom at all, even on the sick days.  And I'm so thankful I get to parent alongside this husband.  I can't wait to think of a way to spoil him on Father's Day!














Comments

Dawn said…
so very sweet.... :) we were home with fevers on mother's day too...hope your lil' june is doing better!

Popular Posts